Monday, September 5, 2011

Veggie time!

After getting home from vacation, I couldn't wait to eat some vegetables. Eating right while on vacation is not easy to do. I don't think we ate too horribly but I still came home feeling gross. Like I needed vegetables!  


I made 2 vegetable soups over the weekend before going back to school: a beef stew and a vegetable chicken noodle concoction. We ate the chicken noodle over this past week (my first week back in school). And I put the beef stew in the freezer right away so we could eat it later when I'm studying 24/7. My husband LOVES the beef stew. He keeps asking me when we can take it out of the freezer. Ha! Maybe we will this week....


Here's the recipe. It's simple and we both really like it : )


Beef Stew in the Crock


2 pounds Beef chuck or stew meat; cut 1" cubes
     (they have this meat pre-cut into cubes in 1lb packages at Fry's... it's great!)
1/4 cup Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1 1/2 cups Beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Clove garlic; minced
     I like to be generous with the garlic : )
1 Bay leaf
1 teaspoon Paprika
4 Carrots; sliced
3 Potatoes; diced
2 Onions; chopped
1 Stalk celery; sliced
2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet (optional)

  • Place meat in crock pot. 
  • Mix flour, salt and pepper and pour over meat; stir to coat meat with flour. 
  • Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. 
  • Cover and cook on low (200 degrees) for 10 to 12 hours or high (300 degrees) for 4 to 6 hours. Stir stew thoroughly before serving. 

No comments: